venerdì 19 giugno 2009

ABORTION

Curator: Pietro Franesi
Artist: Joyce DiBona

1. When I began this work, the word "Atonement" kept running through my mind. I came to refer to this piece by that name. The definition of atonement is: Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong; expiation. Reconciliation or an instance of reconciliation between God and humans.

2. From the very beginning of the work it was important to me that I convey that there were two victims; the unborn child and the mother.

3. I believe it was important for a woman artist to create this work.
Pietro Franesi concepted this work, and chose me to create it. I could not know until I was involved in the work itself just how much I could bring to it, and how deeply it would affect me.

4. I wept while I sculpted her face.

5. The dreams fell away for so many women, Marriage, the promise of family, the hopes for real genuine love.

6. As women have sought equality and liberation, all too often they found that the price was to carry all the responsibility…..alone.

7. I personally feel that for so many women the sense of having to make a "terrible choice" has come from a sense of abandonment in a world gone mad.

8. This piece is an Icon of Self Sabotage.

9. Issues of diminished opportunity and survival cloud the ability to see and act for a better future. Hope is lost, and the promise of life is sacrificed.

10. This work is my atonement. It is my offering to those that suffer.

Web: www.joycedibona.com