venerdì 19 giugno 2009

DISCREET MESSAGES

Sentiments From The People

Curator: Pietro Franesi
Artist: Helena V. de Vengoechea

Discreet Messages : Sentiments From The People is my way of calling attention to how we are surrounded by verbiage that is significant to someone. These messages aren't your everyday graffiti but - words that I believe artists, as well as the general public, create for individuals who are searching for humor, visual pleasure or guidance.

On a trip to Newport Beach, California I came across some messages about the environment that volunteers wrote in a 300 foot tunnel in Crystal Cove Park. Presently, we are in an environmental crisis so I thought documenting these messages that individuals painted on these walls would be appropriate so I may share them with others through an exhibition on the East Coast.

Although the original messages are not my creation, my goal is to document and share the work of these anonymous artists in exhibitions and publications so that others can enjoy their contributions. By focusing in on, and cropping these visual elements, my intent is to decontextualize the words to a point where they are able to work independently as my own message.