venerdì 29 maggio 2009

Barbara Zanelli

Title: Better Than Gold

"Stream of Consciousness"

As an artist, I seek a balance between living in a world dominated by corrupt institutions and carving my own path of creativity that emphasizes my values of unity and love. As an artist I also feel a social responsibility to give others the courage to do the same.

In my work, I explore the mystery of the human soul combining my classical training with pure observation and fantasy. I am concerned with my god -- love, and how to ignite the vibration of joy that comes along with being ‘in love.’ Being in love is the highest state given to humans and this is what informs and concerns me in my work.

Bio: Barbara currently lives in Philadelphia, PA. She came to Philadelphia in 2004 to study at Studio Incamminati on a scholarship from Nelson Shanks. Before that she had been living in Florence, Italy for a year. She had gone to Florence because while meeting success in NYC, she felt drawn to learn more about classical painting in the city she fell in love with five years prior. While there, she studied drawing with sculptor Mario Pachioli, who studied with Pietro Annigoni. Barbara received her B.F.A. from Syracuse University in 1999.

Curator: Pietro Franesi